Director, Podcast Production
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. Since 2019, the VPM Podcasts team has been producing award-winning audio programming, including Social Distance Assistance, Resettled and Seizing Freedom, with more original programming on the way in 2022.
We are looking for an experienced, creative, and empathetic audio professional to lead production for our rapidly growing podcast initiative. The Director, Podcast Production will play a key editorial role in shaping the portfolio of podcasts produced by VPM, helping to craft our vision and oversee the team for each of its shows.
The ideal candidate will foster the growth of VPM Podcasts, in both quality of content and reputation, by helping establish editorial standards and overall creative vision for production. Additionally, this candidate will be a collaborative partner with the Managing Producer, Podcasts, advocating for support internally with VPM stakeholders as well as externally to local, regional and national audiences, sponsors and partners.
This position reports directly to the Chief Content Officer, and is part of VPM’s Content team.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
• Works jointly with Managing Producer, Podcasts to establish clear standards and practices for decision making, meetings, workflow and quality assurance.
• Supports the design and implementation of the station’s podcasting strategy to advance the organizational goals of serving diverse audiences with innovative, impactful content.
• Participates in the assessment process for all podcast program pitches submitted to VPM for consideration.
• Acts as Lead Producer for all new show pilots, collaborating with talent and the VPM Podcasts team to make a fully-produced pilot episode for further consideration as a VPM content property.
• Finalizes pilot budget and hires additional freelance support staff.
• Drafts series one-sheets to represent the show’s overall vision.
• Leads pre-production and production meetings.
• Manages script writing and edits, recordings, tape cutting and edits.
• Oversees engineering, sound design, scoring and music composition.
• Debriefs with Managing Producer, Podcasts and Chief Content Officer to make recommendations for or against further series development following pilot completion.
• Partners with Managing Producer, Podcasts when pilots are approved for production to identify freelance needs, as well as hires and onboards a production team for the series.
• Supplements production needs on podcast projects as needed, to include research, writing, production and editing support at both the script and audio level.
• Represents VPM Podcasts in the wider podcast community, both nationally and locally in Virginia, to encourage pitches, foster relationships and provide growth opportunities for other audio professionals in partnership with the VPM+ICA Community Media Center.
• At least 5 years of relevant experience (including 2 years managing teams with a broad range of skills, experiences and backgrounds preferred).
• Excellent audio production and editing skills, with extensive experience in one or more DAWs (Pro Tools, Adobe Audition, Hindenburg, etc.).
• Demonstrated success with the development, production and launch of podcasts or other digital-first projects (experience producing more than one genre of content preferred - ie. talk show, news, documentary, comedy, etc.).
• Passion for experimentation and innovation grounded in a foundation of understanding for how the podcast industry operates (experience working in non-profit or public media a plus).
• Commitment to creating content that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
• Ability to work well independently as well as within a team of creative professionals.
• Strong journalistic judgment and integrity.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong attention to detail, time management and organization.
Apply by sending your resume, cover letter, and a link to your portfolio to [email protected] Please include examples of previous professional audio work and a brief explanation of your involvement in its production. The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.