VPM News is searching for a journalist energized by the pace of daily news and passionate about editing and audio storytelling to be one of our News Editors. Reporting into the Managing Editor, this shared role rotates between editing daily content for VPM News’ website and daily radio newscasts. Managing news radio hosts and reporters in our hybrid multiplatform (radio/digital) newsroom, this full-time position with benefits also directly supervises our assistant editor.
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism from our NPR partner station with distribution across digital channels to more than 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. As an independent, nonprofit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
Our News Editors collaborate with the newsroom staff overall by assigning, editing and producing stories for radio and web. A team player comfortable making quick decisions, the News Editor is also responsible for proactively handling occasional breaking news during their shift, editing digital stories and products, assisting with newsletter creation, and updating the homepage regularly. Long-range projects will include data visualizations, FOIA requests, and data analysis to support enterprise reporting and research.
VPM News Editors are also one of the primary people tasked with deepening our connection to the communities we currently serve — and audiences we’d like to better serve going forward. Strategy-wise, this person will develop and implement digital strategies and performance targets for news and digital teams and must possess the ability to extract and analyze data to refine and improve news content.
We know candidates may not fulfill every requirement listed, and that’s OK. That said, experience editing audio for radio or another audio-only format is an absolute must-have for this position.
Note: VPM cannot offer sponsorship for potential employees at this time, so applicants must be legally able to work for any employer in the United States.
- Must be based in (or willing to relocate to) Central Virginia. The News Editor must be able to travel between their home and Richmond on a regular (multiple times per month) basis.
- At least 3 years of web editing experience.
- Experience with editing short- or long-form audio.
- At least 2 years of working in audience engagement/audience development, social media and other offsite or emerging platforms.
- Solid grasp of NPR and/or Associated Press Style for web and/or audio.
- Able to learn, work with and teach CMS and SEO best practices.
- Able to balance multiple priorities, projects and tasks.
- News judgment: You can say with confidence when VPM News should/should not cover something and are willing to back that up.
- Strong news ethics and a commitment to improving our solutions-based journalism.
- Experience managing other reporters is a plus.
- Public radio experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with Grove, Airtable, Microsoft Office and/or Luminate Online is a plus.
- Host and board operating experience is a HUGE BONUS, but we can and will train interested applicants.
Hiring Range: $62,000 – $67,000.
Apply by sending a cover letter and resume to [email protected] The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.