Senior Communications Manager
The Senior Communications Manager brings a broad, integrated communications skill set to a small team that works internally and externally to tell VPM’s exciting and emerging brand story. Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications, this role brings communications strategy and content creation together, with an emphasis on stewarding high-impact assets and collateral to inspire community support for the public media mission. The incumbent must be a creative and strategic thinker, possess impeccable writing and editing skill and capacity and must have deep experience employing these skills across platforms. This role will work closely with VPM’s executive leadership and also supervise the work of the Communications Manager and team interns.
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. Our teams produce documentaries, TV series and digital content. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR and PBS stations with distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. VPM Music is home to a 24/7 blend of classical, jazz and world music serving the Richmond region. Additionally, VPM has recently acquired a 40-year-old weekly publication and website, Style Weekly, that covers arts and culture. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Works with Director of Marketing & Communications to create, implement and measure an integrated communications strategy that aligns with and supports VPM’s strategic plan.
· Develops and implements external messaging strategy for specific corporate initiatives, to include capital campaigns, facility projects and other priorities.
· Supports internal and executive communications in partnership with Director of Marketing & Communications and executive team.
· Supervises Communications Manager in publicity and external communications activities in support of production launches, events, awards, speaking engagements and other initiatives.
· Provides backup to Dir. of Marketing & Communications on crisis communications, serving as point of contact for press inquiries, developing talking points for internal stakeholders and directing response.
Editorial and Online
· Conceptualizes, creates and edits messaging for high-impact collateral organization-wide, including annual and quarterly reports, fundraising materials, branded video scripts, etc.
· Leads evaluation and development of cross-department email communications strategy, and works with editors on performance benchmarks and editorial standards.
· Contributes ideas for brand storytelling across social media, website and broadcast platforms.
· Leads development of VPM style guide for brand voice, tone, and grammar.
· Writes and/or edit organizational positioning materials for external communications.
Administration and Management
· Works closely with Director of Marketing & Communications to determine department priorities, goals, roadmaps and editorial calendar.
· Contributes to strategic planning to meet department and organizational goals, including forecasting, project management workflow.
· Manages Communications budget and contributes to annual budget planning.
· Actively updates and maintains best practices and processes to measure Communications KPIs and reports.
· Hires and manages the performance and priorities of direct reports, freelancers, vendors and interns.
· 5-7 years of related professional experience, 3 years supervisory experience.
· Knowledge of corporate communications strategy and tactics, across digital and traditional channels, is essential.
· Possesses deep internal communications experience including implementing strategies and plans, creating and managing channels and platforms, and producing and editing content.
· Exceptional writing and editing skills, familiarity with AP Style preferred.
· Familiarity with publishing platforms, a plus.
· Proven ability to work on a variety of projects under tight deadlines.
· Possesses a valid driver’s license.
Hiring Salary: $70,000
Submit cover letter, resume and portfolio of writing samples and creative work to [email protected].