Our Support Technician serves as the primary point of coordination for all VPM information technology desktop support. Reporting to the Systems Administrator, this role provides technical assistance and answers to users’ questions, assists users by troubleshooting problems with computer hardware or software, and acts as liaison for information technology vendors.
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. Our teams produce documentaries, TV series and digital content. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR and PBS stations with distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. VPM Music is home to a 24/7 blend of classical, jazz and world music serving the Richmond region. Additionally, VPM has recently acquired a 40-year-old weekly publication and website, Style Weekly, that covers arts and culture. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
· Fields support calls, chat, email, and/or other communication from users with inquiries regarding hardware, software, network connectivity, printing, and similar concerns for all VPM locations.
· Identifies, investigates, and resolves users’ problems with computer software and hardware.
· Guides users through diagnostic and troubleshooting processes, which may include use of diagnostic tools and software and/or following verbal instructions.
· Collaborates with staff and IT services vendors for all company locations to explain errors and/or recommend modifications in programs.
· Provides IT support for company events as needed.
· Verifies functionality of hardware and software components, and assists personnel with installation, configuration and ongoing usability of system hardware and software.
· Builds familiarity and skill with VPM platforms, workflow, and systems functionality (website CMS, newsroom platforms, member databases, etc.) to support all aspects of VPM’s technical operations.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to explain technical issues to technical and nontechnical employees and customers.
· Proficient with or the ability to quickly learn an array of computer hardware and software skills.
· Ability to meet deadlines and manage stress effectively in high-pressure situations.
· Ability to manage and promote better vendor relationships.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and related software.
· Experience working in/supporting Windows and Mac OS environments.
· Strong sense of discretion and confidentiality required.
Hiring Salary: $46,000 - $48,000
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to [email protected].