VPM News is seeking a Freelance Editor to support our team of enterprising, award-winning news reporters and producers. The Freelance Editor will work with the Newscast Editor and Digital Editor to help determine story coverage, edit daily radio and digital pieces and provide editing and editorial support for feature stories.
• Edits of daily stories and features, including special series and investigations.
• Daily editorial guidance and mentoring of staff, freelancers and interns on all VPM News content, from idea development, sources, pitching, interview questions, story structure, edits, fact checking, audio production and web buildouts.
• Work closely with Digital Editor and Newscast Editor on planning, editorial guidance and delivery of visual elements for feature stories.
• Assist with implementing and adhering to VPM News training, style and ethics guidelines.
• Assist Newscast Editor and Digital Editor with short, medium and long-term editorial and strategic planning including collaborations and partnerships.
• Assist News Editor and Digital Editor on planning live and breaking news coverage.
• 2-3 years editorial leadership experience in a newsroom.
• Additional years of experience reporting in a public media newsroom is a plus.
• Strong writing skills and demonstrated experience distilling complex topics and material into coherent on-air and digital stories.
• Demonstrated experience editing/reporting on a wide range of beats including politics, education, health, housing, development, the courts, the environment, arts and culture.
• Demonstrated experience working with diverse teams and audiences.
• Demonstrated experience in meeting short, medium, and long-term deadlines.
• Demonstrated experience editing/managing multiplatform journalism projects.
• Strong understanding of journalism ethics.
Apply by sending your resume and reel of work to [email protected] The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.