Production Manager, Focal Point (TV)
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our television and NPR station in Richmond and distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
We are seeking an experienced, well-organized, and enthusiastic Production Manager to join our team of journalists and lead the day-to-day operational needs of producing VPM News Focal Point, a weekly news program covering state-wide news, politics, race, business, health, the environment, science, arts, and culture. This role will manage the daily digital production workflow, working with all team members to meet deadlines and produce long and short-form stories for television, web, and social media channels. The ideal candidate will be a demonstrated leader in media production or project management with a background in journalism. This position reports to the Senior News Producer.
• Manages operations of weekly television show including reviewing contracts and footage, managing the editorial workflow and budget.
• Organizes daily and long-lead stories and production projects into task management software and follows up with team on story needs, asset collection and deadline expectations.
• Manages television and digital news workflow to see cross-departmental collaborations to completion and runs weekly team production meetings.
• Oversees asset management workflow, metadata collection, and content tracking.
• Coordinates with Senior News Producer and Editorial Producer to set run of show and map out editorial calendar.
• Works with the team to write and produce promos, digital content, and grow audience footprint.
• Works with Focal Point staff to schedule field freelance production crews.
• Strong editorial oversight across platforms to ensure digital content meets high journalistic standards, while also deepening engagement with audience.
• Collaborates with Chief Content Officer, Executive Producers, and content team members.
• Ensures compliance with FCC and public media rules.
• BA in journalism or related field.
• 3 years production management experience in creating news content as a project manager, product manager, or line producer. Experience in public media with an understanding of PBS ethical standards and guidelines is a plus.
• Demonstrated project management skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge of task management/production software like ASANA, Airtable, and other Microsoft products.
• Strong working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud software including Premiere Pro, Photoshop and After Effects.
• Strong understanding of journalism ethics and broadcast standards & practices.
• Strong organization skills with the ability to stay on budget and meet deadlines while juggling multiple stories and projects at once.
• Strong knowledge of social media and digital communication trends is required.
• Excellent communication and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to pivot and creatively problem solve.
• Strong independent worker who takes ownership of project and process.
• Demonstrated ability to perform well under pressure.
• Demonstrated experience leading across teams as well as supervising or mentoring others.
• Flexible to work unusual hours in remote locations as necessary.
Apply by sending your resume and cover letter to [email protected] The position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.