VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. Our teams produce documentaries, TV series and digital content. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR and PBS stations with distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. Additionally, VPM has recently acquired a 40-year-old weekly publication and website, Style Weekly, that covers arts and culture. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
The graphic designer is a versatile creative professional who is responsible for the conceptualization, design, execution, and delivery of impactful designs that drive and advance awareness of VPM’s brand, content, and initiatives. Reporting to the Senior Web & Graphic Designer, this role is responsible for delivering visuals for promotional collateral and campaigns. You will collaborate closely with partners in Content and other VPM business units on assigned projects in support of the overall brand strategy.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
• Designs and maintains a full range of high-impact creative content and assets, including but not limited to:
o Brand and identity assets
o Print and digital ads
o Social media graphics
o Web/mobile-based visuals
o Publications, reports and print collateral
o Branded promotional items
• Demonstrates creativity and excellent technical skills in all aspects of design including concepts, typography, imagery, color, and layouts.
• Develops and implements brand guidelines and serves as an internal ambassador for the brand with other teams.
• Works with a variety of vendor partners on production and development of print and digital products.
• Actively engages in expanding knowledge of evolving design trends, technology, and accessibility best practices.
• Assists with maintaining cloud-based brand asset library, file archives and related systems including demonstrated experience with Adobe CC and Sony Ci.
• Bachelor's degree in graphic design, related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Two years’ experience in graphic/web design, marketing, or visual communications at an agency or as part of an in-house creative team.
• Demonstrated experience in Adobe Creative Suite.
• Strong knowledge of layout, typography and color theory, and other elements of design, as demonstrated by portfolio of professional work.
• Proficiency with office productivity tools (Google Suite, Microsoft Office).
• Possesses keen attention to detail with excellent planning, organization, and project management skills.
• Demonstrated experience managing print production process from start to finish.
• Working knowledge of project management tools (Basecamp, Airtable, Asana) and methodologies is preferred.
Apply by sending a cover letter, resume and a link to your portfolio to ca[email protected]. The position will remain open until filled.
VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.