VPM Daily Newscast: April 17, 2023
The VPM Daily Newscast contains all your Central Virginia news in just 5 to 10 minutes. Episodes are recorded the night before.
Listeners can subscribe through NPR One, Apple Podcasts, Megaphone, Spotify and wherever you get your podcasts.
Here’s a recap of the top stories on the morning of April 17, 2023:
VCU looks to repatriate Indigenous remains uncovered along I-95
Reported by VPM News’ Jahd Khalil
Virginia Commonwealth University is working to repatriate the remains of nine Native Americans that have been in storage since 1975.
The remains were initially uncovered as “part of the installation of Interstate 95.” VCU archeologists excavated two burial sites that contained the remains of at least nine individuals, the university stated in federal paperwork filed in March 2023 for the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act.
Forensic scientists determined the youngest remains were of an infant. An analysis of pottery found at the site suggested the burials were during the “Late Woodland period,” between 900 and 1600 CE.
Richmond Fire eyes Southside field for new training facility
Reported by VPM News’ Patrick Larsen
Richmond Fire Department's proposal to build a new training facility on existing green space next to Hickory Hill Community Center in Richmond’s Southside has led to disagreements among city leaders and community members.
The new facility would be three stories tall, built out of shipping containers and used to simulate disorienting firefighting environments — by using live burns and theatrical smoke. It would replace grass with a concrete pad for maneuvering fire trucks, as well as landscaping intended to obscure the facility from view and a retention pond to minimize the impacts of runoff on vegetation and waterways.
In other news:
- Recommendation to deny Dominion renewables projects highlights challenges of meeting VCEA goal (Virginia Mercury)
- Congress proposes split to Richmond's organ transplant system (Richmond Times-Dispatch)
- Former Radford University baseball player sues ex-coach, athletic director (The Roanoke Times)
In case you missed it:
- Sen. Warner says rural Virginia needs capital, affordable housing and internet access to stay competitive (Cardinal News)
- FBI seizes Culpeper Sheriff campaign cash (NBC Washington)