VPM Daily Newscast: Aug 8, 2023
The VPM Daily Newscast contains all your Central Virginia news in just 5 to 10 minutes. Episodes are recorded the night before.
Here’s a recap of the top stories on the morning of Aug. 8, 2023:
Lawsuit accuses ICE of illegally detaining men in Virginia
Reported by VPM News’ Ben Paviour
Three Central American men filed a federal lawsuit last week alleging they’ve been unlawfully detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Virginia after winning their immigration cases.
In separate cases, the three men won immigration cases that granted them protection from deportation to their homes in El Salvador and Honduras. Judges ruled the men risked being tortured if they returned.
There’s still a chance ICE could try to deport the men to a third country, although the lawsuit says the men have not been told where they might be sent.
RVA Community Fridges is ‘rocking on community strength’
Reported by VPM News’ Phil Liles
The organization RVA Community Fridges is outgrowing founder Taylor Scott’s Richmond apartment. Her project is expanding to feed the city’s most vulnerable neighborhoods.
This past weekend, the organization installed a new refrigerator, filled with free fruit and vegetables in Southside at Fonticello Food Forest, a community garden in Carter Jones Park.
It’s also applying to become a full-fledged nonprofit and will soon be opening a Northside kitchen that allows for more food storage and prep.
In other news:
- Willow Lawn landlord plots mixed-use urbanization of longtime shopping center (Richmond BizSense)*
- Kapeller Violins' swan song: Legendary music shop closing after 45 years (Richmond Times-Dispatch)*
- How a sexual assault in a school bathroom became a political weapon (The New York Times)*
In case you missed it:
- The enslaved chefs who invented Southern hospitality (Zocalo Public Square)
- Virginia farmers propose diverse strategies for future food supply (the Crozet Gazette)
- Hampton councilman says he was extorted out of $5,000 after visit to prostitute (The Virginian-Pilot)*
*This outlet utilizes a paywall.