VPM Daily Newscast: Dec. 21, 2023
The VPM Daily Newscast contains all your Central Virginia news in just 5 to 10 minutes. Episodes are recorded the night before.
Here’s a recap of the top stories on the morning of Dec. 21, 2023:
Youngkin budget proposal seeks income tax decrease, sales tax increase
Reported by VPM News’ Jahd Khalil
Gov. Glenn Youngkin proposed a two-year budget Wednesday that restructures Virginia’s tax base by reducing personal income taxes and offsetting that revenue decrease with a statewide sales tax hike.
More people are now eligible to get help from the state to buy a house after Virginia Housing raised income limits for assistance. In addition to expanding eligibility, the organization also increased the amount a buyer can pay for a home.
In other news:
- Hospital that initially treated Otieno didn't meet care standards, investigation says (The Associated Press)
- New report says Virginia could incentivize methane capture from coal mines (Virginia Mercury)
- Electoral Board eliminates most in-person early voting in eastern Loudoun (Loudoun Times-Mirror)*
In case you missed it:
- Hundreds more apartments to break ground at Regency next year (Richmond BizSense)*
- MVP gets two approvals for future rates and construction plans (The Roanoke Times)*
*This outlet utilizes a paywall.