VPM Daily Newscast: Jan. 12, 2024
The VPM Daily Newscast contains all your Central Virginia news in just 5 to 10 minutes. Episodes are recorded the night before.
Here’s a recap of the top stories on the morning of Jan. 12, 2024:
Reported by VPM News’ Lyndon German
The Henrico board now has a Democratic majority, while Hanover retained a conservative panel.
Reported by VPM News’ Phil Liles
A new COVID-19 variant known as JN.1 is spreading across the U.S., and cases are ticking up in Virginia.
VPM News Morning Edition Host Phil Liles recently spoke with Dr. Elaine Perry, director of the Richmond & Henrico Health Districts, about the new strain and its local effects.
In other news:
- Virginia Victims Fund failing to pay the hospital bills it was designed to cover (The Daily Progress)*
- Virginia Senate Democrats decline to adopt proportional party representation on committees (The Associated Press)
- Incarcerated individuals hunger strike for better conditions at supermax prison (Richmond Times-Dispatch)*
In case you missed it:
- Teens charged in connection to swastika graffiti on Mechanicsville High School football field (WRIC)
- Developers ready to kick off transformation of Haxall hydro plant into ‘Padel Plant’ (Richmond BizSense)*
*This outlet utilizes a paywall.