VPM Daily Newscast: December 2, 2021
VPM's daily newscast contains all your Central Virginia news in just 5 to 10 minutes. Episodes are recorded the night before so you can wake up prepared.
Here’s a recap of the top stories on the morning of Thursday, December 2, 2021:
Richmond became one of five Virginia regions to implement a Marcus Alert system yesterday. The program was a focal point of 2020 racial justice protests in the city. Activists called for a mental health emergency response system that relies less on police. Patrick Larsen reports.
The City of Richmond is encouraging residents to create private health profiles that include pre-existing conditions, behavioral health issues, allergies and more. The profiles are connected to personal phone numbers. When a registered phone makes an emergency call, the connected profile is sent to first responders - so they’re better prepared for the situation. Officials say the profiles will help the city implementing the Marcus Alert system. Residents can go to RVA.gov/911 to learn more.
The family of a man fatally shot by Virginia Beach Police have renewed calls for a federal investigation after learning the officer involved won’t face charges. Ryan Murphy, from our partner station WHRO, has more.
Planning Commissioners in Chesterfield are trying to streamline four parts of the county’s Comprehensive Plan. As Ian Stewart reports, officials say the old sections are hard to interpret and are outdated.
When Virginia’s new Attorney General takes office in January, he says he’ll bring back a controversial crime-fighting tool to combat rising murder rates in Richmond. Republican Jason Miyares wants to employ the principles of Project Exile, according to CBS6. The program was used in the 1990’s when Richmond had the highest homicide rates in the nation. People previously convicted of felonies were sent to federal prisons out of state, if they were found committing a crime with an illegal firearm. Opponents say the program unfairly targeted people of color.
Charlottesville is once again searching for an interim City Manager. Marc Woolley, the most recent appointee to the position, backed out last week due to personal reasons. The city announced the withdrawal on Tuesday, one day before he was scheduled to start. Woolley told NBC29 the decision wasn’t political, but that the job wasn’t the quote “right fit” for his family. City Council met for three hours in a closed door session on Tuesday to explore options for a new interim City Manager, who will help assemble the city’s 2023 budget. A search for a permanent City Manager is set to begin in April 2022.