Beat the heat at these cooling stations in Greater Richmond, Charlottesville
Updated July 28: Over the next few days, Central Virginia will be facing some of the season’s highest temperatures.
A heat wave has settled into Central Virginia for the next few days, bringing with it dangerously high temperatures and even higher heat indexes.
According to the National Weather Service, which has issued both a heat advisory and an "Excessive Heat Warning" for the region, temperatures are expected to break into the triple digits — with heat indexes ranging from 106 to 112 degrees Fahrenheit (41 to 44 degrees Celsius).
And there won't be much relief at night, either, according to NWS: "Overnight heat index values in the urban areas are not expected to drop below the lower to mid 80s tonight and Friday night."
In response, cooling stations are open across the region to help bring some relief from the heat.
City of Charlottesville and Albemarle County
- Clemons Library at the University of Virginia: 164 McCormick Road, Charlottesville 22903; 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- The Haven: 112 W. Market Street, Charlottesville 22902
- Jefferson-Madison Regional Library (Central Branch): 201 E. Market Street, Charlottesville 22902; hours of operation here
- Key Recreation Center: 800 E. Market St., Charlottesville 22902
- Tonsler Recreation Center: 501 Cherry Ave., Charlottesville 22903
- Salvation Army: 297 Ridge Street, Charlottesville 22902; water is available here
- Chesterfield County Library system: branch locations and hours
- Goochland Branch Library: 3075 River Road West, Goochland 23063; hours
- Goochland YMCA*: 1800 Dickinson Road, Goochland 23063; hours
(*Residents must be members in order to use the equipment or pool.)
- Goochland Sports Complex: 1800 Sandy Hook Road, Goochland 23063; hours
- Belmont Recreation Center: 1600 Hilliard Road, Richmond 23228
- Deep Run Recreation Center: 9900 Ridgefield Pkwy., Richmond 23233
- Dorey Recreation Center: 2999 Darbytown Road, Henrico 23231
- Eastern Henrico Recreation Center: 1440 N. Laburnum Ave., Richmond 23223
- Eastern Government Center: 3820 Nine Mile Road, Henrico 23223
- Western Government Center: 4301 East Parham Road, Henrico 23228
- Henrico County Public Library system: branch locations and hours here
- Pocahontas Landmark Center: 4290 Anderson Hwy., 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday
- Powhatan County Public Library: 2270 Mann Road, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Friday; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday
- Richmond Public Library system: branch locations and hours
- Social Services Marshall Plaza Building: 900 E. Marshall Street, Richmond 23219; 11 a.m. - 6 .p.m.
- Southside Community Services Center: 4100 Hull St., Richmond 23224; 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.