VPM Daily Newscast: Jan. 31, 2023
The VPM Daily Newscast contains all your Central Virginia news in just 5 to 10 minutes. Episodes are recorded the night before.
Here’s a recap of the top stories on the morning of Jan. 31, 2023:
Transparency questions persist over history standards proposal
Reported by VPM News’ Ben Paviour
The Virginia Board of Education will consider a new draft of state history standards on Wednesday.
Bill that would increase penalties for fentanyl distribution advances
Reported by VPM News’ Whittney Evans
As Virginia deals with the opioid addiction crisis, some state lawmakers want to increase penalties for distributing any controlled substance that contains fentanyl.
In other news:
- Hitting the bottle: Inflation takes its toll on Virginia wine country (The Daily Progress)
- Senior ‘beach week’ on the Outer Banks is out of control, civic leaders say. So one community is fighting back. (The Virginian-Pilot)
In case you missed it:
- Filmed brawl at Charlottesville High prompts calls for action (The Daily Progress)
- Driver who fatally struck VCU student hasn't been charged (Richmond Times-Dispatch)
- Five takeaways from ODU economists’ forecast (WHRO News)